The English Version is under construction
The Cadastral project in Greece
The National Cadastre has been instituted in 1995 as a unified and constantly updated information system that records legal, technical and other additional information on real estate and rights over it, under the responsibility and guarantee of the State.
Its compilation aims to create a modern, fully automated real estate registration system ensuring the greatest possible publicity and security of transactions.
The Cadastral system aims to completely replace the System of Registrations and Mortgages that was instituted in the mid-19th century, as the official public register of real estate transactions.
The National Cadastre:
- records the geographical description (location, shape, boundaries and size) of each real property,
- registers all transactions that create or modify rights, restrictions and responsibilities on them after checking the legality of a transaction,
- reveals and systematically records State land,
- records rights created through usucaption which, especially in the rural and mountainous parts of the Country, is a common way of acquiring ownership due to informal transfers.
The development of the National Cadastre is a fundamental infrastructure project for Greece, as it creates significant benefits for the citizens, the governance of the State, the national economy and the protection of the environment, as it:
- registers and secures the location and the extents of every real property,
- enhances transparency and security in real estate transfers,
- reduces bureaucracy and simplifies and speeds up the procedures for transferring real estate,
- upgrades the real estate market and contributes to attracting significant investments,
- officially delimits and fully secures State and municipal land,
- protects the environment more effectively by delineating the extents of forests and the coastal
- zones, thus preventing their encroachment,
- is an essential tool for the rational organization and development of the country.
The legal entity under public law "Hellenic Cadastre"
The legal entity under public law with the name "Hellenic Cadastre", was established by Law 4512/2018, and is supervised by the Ministry of Digital Governance (Presidential Decree 3 / 6.1.2021).
The purpose of the Hellenic Cadastre is to ensure the reliability, publicity and availability of spatial and legal data related to real estate and to ensure public trust and security of transactions.
This purpose is achieved through the development, maintenance and operation of the National Cadastre, ensuring the publicity of the legal (registrable rights and encumbrances ) and technical (location and boundaries) information from all the real property transactions registered in it.
Its purpose also includes the geodetic and cartographic coverage of the country, as well as the creation and maintenance of digital geospatial data.
The "Hellenic Cadastre" is responsible for:
- The development, maintenance and operation of the National Cadastre.
- The maintenance and operation of the system of Registrations and Mortgages.
- The production, maintenance and revision of basic and value-added topographic maps and topographic diagrams.
- The design, development, organization, operation and management of systems necessary for the creation and management of geodetic infrastructure of the Country related to its purpose.
- The planning, execution and control of photogrammetric and cartographic projects from the taking of aerial photographs and satellite images to the development of basemaps to cover the needs of the Agency, the Greek State, Local Government Organizations and Public Legal Entities.
- The organization and maintenance of digital geospatial databases.